Thursday, November 22, 2007

Euthanasia

So, my ethical issue is Euthanasia and this is certainly not the first time I have encountered the topic. But as I read an eclectic array of views about this act, I am starting to form my own opinion. One comment though, I think that doctor-assisted-suicide and Euthanasia are pretty much interchangeable. Too many references are made to both within the same context that I think ultimately they both come down to one thing: the act of ending another person's life.
One of my positions on this is that if the patient is mentally competent and is in a lot of pain, more than any drug could cure, the patient ultimately has the right to choose to die. Additionally, if the patient is terminally ill and cannot speak for themselves, I think it is perfectly acceptable to have a trusted family member to decide their fate.

No comments: