Friday, November 2, 2007

All my sons.

I really liked this book. I love reading Arthur Miller's plays because they are short yet hold a lot of action. On the outside, the play may seem simple and unassuming but in reality they have a lot of meaning under the surface. Once you BROACH the subject of the character's conflict, you then can truly say that you have read the book.
This book holds a major internal conflict: the conflict between what is right and what you want at the moment. We see 2 characters experience ambivalent feelings. Chris, in Act I, has decided to marry Ann. However, his dad feels that it would be wrong and his mom's heart would be broken. He feels that it is ok to marry Ann because Larry is wrong yet he doesn't know if it is the right thing to do because it might cause a lot of hard feelings also on Ann's side of the family.
We see Joe experience this conflict during the War when he makes the decision to ship the faulty warheads. At them time, he was acting on a whim and it was a quick decision he had to make in the heat of the moment that he believed was the right thing to do. However, the right thing to do was to not ship the faulty warheads because he needed to realize the magnitude of the stiuation he was in and that he really had the lives of many soldiers in his hands.

1 comment:

Claire L. said...

I didn't think that All My Sons had a whole lot of action. I actually found it rather boring. Are Arthur Miller's other plays a lot like All My Sons or would you say that they have more action?